Member Recognition - AMA Award of Excellence
Association of Municipal Administrators, Nova Scotia (AMANS), a professional body in Nova Scotia, provides a venue for senior municipal government officials across Nova Scotia to share resources, provide training and collaborate on issues of interest to municipal units in Nova Scotia.
The AMA Award of Excellence recognizes a member of AMANS who currently provides an exceptional level of professionalism, leadership and innovation in their job, community service at a tireless level, and exemplifies the ethics and responsibility that a community desires to consider them a positive role model.
Criteria for Selection
The Award Of Excellence 2012 (427 kB)was presented for the first time in October 2004 by the Association of Municipal Administrators, Nova Scotia, to a public administrator in Nova Scotia employed by a municipal government that has displayed outstanding commitment, dedication and public service and is held in high regard by his / her profession and community.
Nominees for the AMA Award of Excellence shall have demonstrated outstanding achievement in the following areas:
- Leadership, innovation, and achievement in the municipal profession.
- Improvement of profession and community through their initiatives and accomplishments.
- Continuous involvement in their community through participation in volunteer groups and local initiatives.
- Held in high regard by their municipality, peers and community.
- An ethical standard beyond reproach.
In order to be eligible to be nominated for the AMA Award of Excellence, nominees must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Member of AMANS for at least two years and presently a member in good standing.
- On the date of the nomination submission, employed by a municipal government in Nova Scotia.
Recipients of the AMA Award of Excellence will be recognized in the following ways:
- Recognized at the Annual Fall Conference Banquet by being presented with the AMA Award of Excellence in the presence of his / her peers;
- Be featured in a future AMANS newsletter;
- Be the subject of an AMANS press release to local and provincial media agencies throughout Nova Scotia;
- A letter will be sent from the AMANS President to the recipient's municipal council or governing body.
Nomination Rules and Guidelines
- Nominations will be accepted by AMANS from individual members of AMANS and municipal councils.
- The AMANS nomination form must be used and submitted to the AMANS office by the deadline of 4:00 p.m., July 6th , 2012. Faxed or e-mailed submissions will not be accepted.
- The nomination must consist of a cover letter, one (1) page biography of the nominee, nomination support text not to exceed five (5) double spaced pages, three (3) letters of reference with at least one coming from a community member not employed by the nominee’s municipal unit and at least one from an AMANS member, and a maximum of five additional pages of support material which may includes newspaper articles, letters of commendation, etc.
- All information submitted to AMANS shall become the property of AMANS and will not be returned.
- All nominee information submitted will be kept strictly confidential unless the nominee is selected to win the award.
- One award will be presently biennially at the AMANS Fall Conference.
- Nominations received will be reviewed by an AMA Award of Excellence Committee consisting of AMANS members or other authorized representatives selected by the AMANS Executive Committee. The Committee shall consist of four (4) members.
- Members of the AMA Award of Excellence Committee shall not be eligible for nomination or to nominate individuals.
Nominations are to be submitted By 4:00 p.m. August 16, 2012, to (please complete the 2012 Nomination Form (109 kB)):
Janice Wentzell, Executive Director
Association of Municipal Administrators, Nova Scotia
1809 Barrington Street, Suite 1106
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3K8